Staff Software Engineer, Actions MacOS Cloud DevOps
GitHub is changing the way the world builds software, and we want you to help build GitHub! We’re looking for an experienced Staff Engineer to join the Actions Mac Cloud Platform and Infrastructure Team.
Actions Mac Cloud owns the end to end lifecycle of the fleet of machines that power all our hosted Mac runners for GitHub Actions. This includes:
- Obtaining and provisioning hardware
- Working with data centers to deploy our hardware
- Building deployment and runtime software to provision and manage the Mac hardware and virtual machines
- Interfacing with multiple vendors and engineering teams to accomplish the above
Actions is a core part of GitHub and enables developers around the world. Millions of GitHub customers will rely on your team's work every single day.
In this role, you’ll collaborate closely with product and distributed engineers to grow and improve MacCloud with security, reliability, and operational efficiency at the forefront. You’ll help set business and product direction, and you’ll be involved in planning, implementation, scaling, reliability and customer success to ensure we’re setting our teams and customers up for success.
The people on our teams believe that creating great products for GitHub users is a ton of fun, and you’ll be inspired by the opportunity to help enable developers all over the world to build world-changing things with our tools.
- Lead the development of software to manage, monitor, and maintain our fleet of Macs using reusable code and tooling
- Collaborate with our hardware engineers, vendors, TPM, and other engineers to plan next generation hardware releases
- Partner with your team, other engineering teams and product partners to enable the macOS runners capabilities needed by our customers.
- Drive the team to meet the service's high availability and scale requirements.
- Mentor and coach other engineers on the team
- Participate in long term planning and execution alongside engineering leadership, vendors, TPM, PM, and external stakeholders
- Participate in hiring and sourcing to build a diverse high performance engineering team
- Work with the team to develop, communicate, and track progress against long term plans
- Coordinate with engineering, product and design leadership to define and prioritize projects that help us meet business objectives
- Support a highly available service used by millions of users on a daily basis
- Drive data driven improvements to both product quality and engineering efficiency
- 7+ years of experience as a software engineer
- 3+ years of experience delivering high availability, enterprise grade services, including monitoring, observability and diagnosing problems
- 3+ years of experience developing backend services for large scale systems
- Passionate about fostering good engineering practices and processes
- Excellent analytical skills as well as communication skills both verbal and written. We’re a distributed team so we’re extra mindful about communication.
- Strong customer focus and data driven approach
- Experience in and passion for mentoring and coaching
- Experience working with data centers and vendors is a plus
- Experience in Golang, C#, and/or Azure is a plus.
- Experience with SQL, Kusto, or general database knowledge
Ability to meet GitHub, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft, GitHub’s parent company, Cloud Screen upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Minimum salary of $168,700 to maximum $313,300.
In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee's role.
These pay ranges are intended to cover roles based across the United States. An individual's base pay depends on various factors including geographical location and review of experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant. At GitHub certain roles are eligible for benefits and additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These rewards are allocated based on individual impact in role.
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in the United States.
Who We Are:
As the global home for all developers, GitHub is the complete AI-powered developer platform to build, scale, and deliver secure software. Over 100 million people, including developers from 90 of the Fortune 100 companies, use GitHub to build amazing things together across 330+ million repositories. With all the collaborative features of GitHub, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.