Corporate Counsel, Employment Law
GitHub is looking for a Corporate Counsel, Employment Law to join our Corporate External & Legal Affairs team.
GitHub has an immediate opening for an experienced employment attorney to join the HR Legal Team which is a part of Corporate External & Legal Affairs, GitHub’s legal department. The employment law attorney will provide employment law advice to support our employees in the Netherlands and Europe. The attorney will work on cutting-edge employment law issues and forward looking employment law scenarios, in support of its dynamic and creative Human Resources Department and senior business leaders.
This role will act as the primary employment law contact for our Human Resource clients and business leaders based outside of the United States. This work includes advice and counsel on the full range of employment law issues for an independently operating company.
- Collaborate and partner effectively across teams to provide strong client service in an exceptionally high volume and fast-paced environment.
- Provide advice and help establish a framework for engagement with Works Councils and other employee representative groups.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures ensuring HR compliance is met with respect to European laws and regulations.
- Work with outside counsel to support all aspects of employment.
- Identify and anticipate employment law risk in the client’s business, technology and/or public policy, and propose solutions to mitigate future risk.
- Inform the business of relevant new employment laws, best practices, and regulations that may have direct implications for GitHub.
- Engage proactively to drive compliance and implement risk-mitigating strategies.
- Identify and engage appropriate stakeholders to escalate issues, using written and oral communications skills to articulate recommendations and provide options on complex legal issues.
- Serve as a contributor to clients and colleagues about legal and related employment law matters. This work includes:
- Developing and reviewing written HR policies, guidelines and processes, templates, intranet sites, and training materials;
- Developing and delivering legal training for HR generalists, and company managers.
- Understand opportunities to leverage best practices from our parent company Microsoft.
- Juris Doctorate Degree or equivalent International Degree in Law (or Completion of a Legal Apprenticeship)
- Active license to practice law in the Netherlands
- Several years of experience as an employment or labor law attorney
- Experience advising clients on employment and labor law matters, including discrimination, retaliation, wrongful termination, wage and hour, and works council matters in the EMEA region, specifically in the Netherlands
- Prior experience at a large international organization working on employment law
- Demonstrated knowledge of human resources practices and regionally applicable local employment laws, specifically in the EMEA region
- Strong client service focus and the ability to work independently and efficiently, prioritize demands and manage projects in a fast-paced environment
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in the Netherlands.
Who We Are:
As the global home for all developers, GitHub is the complete AI-powered developer platform to build, scale, and deliver secure software. Over 100 million people, including developers from 90 of the Fortune 100 companies, use GitHub to build amazing things together across 330+ million repositories. With all the collaborative features of GitHub, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We've designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where many Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The rest of our Hubbers work remotely around the globe. Check out an updated list of where we can hire here: https://github.com/about/careers/remote
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We've designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we've built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.