Support Engineer III
More and more companies are using GitHub Enterprise, so the support team is growing. When our customers have problems, they contact us and it is our goal to help them as quickly and awesomely as possible. We're looking for Support Engineers to support both our GitHub Enterprise product installed and managed in the customer's virtualization environment, as well as enterprise customers of GitHub.com. Your main responsibility will be to work with our customers via web interface or email, and occasionally phone and chat to solve support tickets. Tickets are usually opened by internal system administrators, and can include investigating load or networking issues, debugging application errors, and discussing feature requests. You'll also work with our engineering team to prioritize issues and development, and our documentation team to improve customer-facing resources. You don’t need to be a Git expert, but you do need to have technical experience and a passion for helping people. The position reports to a Support Manager and works closely with other teams and leaders across the company.
GitHub works remotely and asynchronously as much as possible. While this role does not require you to live near our office, it may require some travel to meet with co-workers or attend company events.
This role will require working non-standard working hours, including weekends and holidays. The position is offered to people working from Australia.
- Solve complex customer support tickets often involving Linux servers, source code, and web application issues
- Effectively communicate technical information to customers and engineering groups at GitHub
- Work proactively with customers on activities such as coordinating upgrades, communicating upcoming features, and ensuring their installation is running smoothly
- Identify bugs and improvements in GitHub codebases
- Manage urgent customer outages.
Required Qualifications :
- Experience directly providing technical support, including at least 1 year in a business-to-business (B2B) context.
- Demonstrated experience in technical troubleshooting (e.g. interpreting application source code, querying/parsing logs, reproducing failure states etc) beyond logging bugs or requests for other teams
- Experience writing or amending technical documentation, playbooks or similar
- Experience working with modern codebases including CI/CD systems and working directly with relevant services, tools and/or architectures (such as MSSQL/MySQL, Elasticsearch, Nomad, K8S, SAML, TLS, etc) as well as Linux shells/command line
- Experience working with production-level virtualisation (e.g. VMware ESX, Xen, KVM) and at least one variety of public or private cloud
- Experience providing technical support, including incident response, in Support Engineering, TAM, SRE, CSM or related roles
- Experience working closely with, or within, enterprise-scale organizations and interacting with Engineering, Sales, Customer Success and similar teams to collaboratively resolve customer problems
- Technical familiarity with GitHub products, and Git itself
- Experience delivering phone or live chat support, on-site / in-person professional services, consulting or similar.
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in Australia.
GitHub is the world’s leading AI-powered developer platform with 100 million developers and counting. We’re also home to the biggest open source community on earth (and 99% of the world’s software has open source code in its DNA). Many of the apps and programs you use every day are built on GitHub.
Our teams are dreamers, doers, and pioneers, leading the way in AI, driving humanitarian efforts around the globe, and even sending open source to Mars (and beyond!).
At GitHub, our goal is to create the space you need to do your best work. We’re remote-first and offer competitive pay, generous learning and growth opportunities, and excellent benefits to support you, wherever you are—because we know that people flourish when they can work on their own terms.
Join us, and let’s change the world, together.
Customer Obsessed - Trust by Default - Ship to Learn - Own the Outcome - Growth Mindset - Global Product, Global Team - Anything is Possible - Practice Kindness
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don't discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there's any way we can make the interview process better for you; we're happy to accommodate!
Please note that benefits vary by country. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask your Talent Partner.