Distributed System Engineer
Fully remote worldwide position
Lagrange Labs is looking to hire a Distributed System Engineer to join our fast growing team. The ideal candidate would have familiarity developing production level distributed systems in Rust with familiarity with cryptography.
Our team (https://www.lagrange.dev/) is currently building ZK MapReduce, a novel proof system that is designed for concurrently proving large-scale batch storage inclusion and dynamic MapReduce style computations. At the core of the ZK MapReduce stack is Recproofs, a new vector commitment scheme developed by the Lagrange Labs research team.
Recproofs are optimized for onchain applications that require computing and efficiently maintain a proof over a moving stream of blocks. Each proof can be updated in logarithmic time whenever the leaves in a subset change or the overall set changes.
Our proofs are already being used to empower new applications ranging from trustless DeFi primitives computed from historical data, to digest transformations for ZK-rollups to verifiable public goods funding based on onchain activity.
What you will be doing
Lagrange Labs is looking for a talented distributed system engineers to lay the foundation for our distributed proving architecture lying at the foundation of our zk map-reduce service. This requires rigorous engineering from protocol design through all the phases of implementation. We strike a balance between pragmatism (ship it), deeply informed protocol design, and strict application of strong engineering principles. All of this happens in an environment defined by curiosity, passion, and a love for open source.
- You will be participating in a cross team environements with applied cryptographers and researchers to design and implement an elegant, reusable open-source solution for Lagrange’s distributed proving architecture
- You will create and/or maintain software libraries and programs depended on by other systems and applications in the stack.
- You will have the opportunity to drive the design decisions from the ground.
- You will engage and educate the community, from users to contributors
What we’re looking for
- Significant experience building applications using Go or Rust
- Our stack is in Rust, but we’re looking for talented people in distributed systems regardless of the their language background
- Solid understanding of distributed systems principles (required)
- Understanding Divide and Conquer concepts (e.g., MapReduce)
- Distributed Databases such as MongoDB or MariaDB
- Understanding the basics of sharding
- Distributed Ledger Technology (DLT) and Blockchain
- Experience designing and building distributed and/or p2p software systems and applications.
- Experience Implementing DHTs, consensus (Raft/PAXOS) and/or blockchain-based protocols (preferred)
- Literacy with cryptographic principles and practices (signatures, SNARKs, etc)
- Especially in the blockchain context
- Excellent communication skills on both technical and non-technical issues
- Proven track record of independently driving projects in a fast-paced environment
- Competitive salary + equity and token package
- Team offsites and conference travel
- Fully remote with flexible hours
- Unlimited vacation policy
- Top-tier health, dental, and vision coverage for US employees
- Opportunity to work alongside other top-tier and passionate researchers and engineers
- Respectful team culture with high individual ownership of your work
- Be a part of developing groundbreaking solutions that can be a key piece of infrastructure for the crypto industry.
- Ability to contribute to high impact research publications