Senior Engineer - AI Video Compute
Why join Livepeer?
Livepeer’s mission is to build the world’s open video infrastructure and provide universal access to scalable, high-performance and affordable video streaming services that help individuals, communities, and businesses connect, innovate, and grow through the power of video.
As an open source and public blockchain-based protocol that has been live on Ethereum since 2018, Livepeer is one of the first web3 projects to deliver real-world utility to an existing multi-billion dollar global industry. The Livepeer protocol creates an incentivized and coordinated peer-to-peer Network and worldwide community of hardware operators to run infrastructure for video streaming. Users of the Livepeer Network infrastructure can instantly access infinitely scalable and high performance media services while saving over 80% in cost compared to traditional cloud infrastructure providers.
At Livepeer, we are not just building the world's open video infrastructure; we are revolutionizing the way people connect, innovate, and grow through video streaming. As a pioneer in integrating blockchain technology into the multi-billion dollar video streaming industry, we offer unique challenges and opportunities that set us apart.
Livepeer is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We are committed to providing a community and environment for mutual respect, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We believe diversity and inclusion are crucial to our success and seek to recruit/develop from a diverse candidate pool.
What we're looking for
One of the biggest opportunities in the Livepeer Ecosystem is to expand the capabilities of the Livepeer network beyond just transcoding. Node operators should be able to offer additional services like AI-based video compute, including generative video, upscaling, subtitle generation, and more. We are seeking an individual senior engineer to work on productionizing these capabilities on the Livepeer network, end to end, to pave the way for Livepeer to be the backbone for the future of video-based compute.
What you'll do
- Research and develop the prototype enhancements to the Livepeer protocol to support expanding job types from simply transcoding, to AI video compute based jobs leveraging existing and future AI models for generation (i.e. Stable Video Diffusion), upscaling (i.e. ESRGAN), frame interpolation (i.e. FILM).
- Research and develop the prototype enhancements to the Livepeer client to support expanding job types from transcoding to additional types of jobs, including updated communication protocols between Livepeer Broadcast nodes and Livepeer Orchestrator nodes.
- Research and develop efficient GPU infrastructure utilization and optimization for loading, running, and performing inference using these AI models.
- Deploy the working end to end prototype to a running testnet to demonstrate these capabilities.
- Work in close coordination with Livepeer founders, and the core team to architect and integrate these changes into the code base in a way that aligns with a maintainable, go forward architecture for the core software and protocol.
- Be responsible for leading the LIP process to take these changes to the production network.
- A 6-month fulltime commitment to deliver on the above initially, with opportunity to continue indefinitely as a senior protocol and core software engineer in the Livepeer ecosystem.
What you'll bring
- Ability to learn and understand the Livepeer client software (go-livepeer) deeply.
- Experience deploying open source AI models for inference, including using tools like PyTorch and HuggingFace.
- Experience scaling distributed systems.
- Experience running GPU workloads.
- Experience with ffmpeg or another media processing tool such as gstreamer, including language specific bindings for these tools.
- Experience and comfort with the Go programming language and C programing language.
- Nice to have: Knowledge of or interest in solidity and smart contract development.
- Nice to have: Demonstrated blockchain protocol experience, including around secure protocol development.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a broader team and fit within existing architectures.
- Ability to build in the open, and share transparent updates to the Livepeer community during monthly ecosystem calls.
- Bonus: familiarity with technical video workflows, for ease of integration with video specific job types as initial proofs of concept.
- We will consider proposals from small teams with members whose collective skills meet the above, in addition to individual full stack developers looking to take on the full scope.
Here is what to expect during the interview process:
- Initial phone interview
- First and second round interviews
- Reference checks