Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2023
Before you read the details of this role, there’s something you should know. At Matter Labs, we don’t see ourselves as a company, but as a highly aligned global team on a single mission: to accelerate the mass adoption of crypto for personal sovereignty.
Our core technology – zkSync Era – is a layer 2 rollup that uses advanced cryptography called zero-knowledge proofs to scale Ethereum without compromising on security or decentralization. zkSync Era is EVM compatible, which means projects on Ethereum and other EVM-based blockchains can easily deploy on zkSync Era to take advantage of low gas fees and high transaction speeds.
With a total of $458 million in mission-driven funding, zkSync Era is the first EVM-compatible ZK Rollup to go live on testnet (February 2022) and be deployed on mainnet (October 2022). As we enter the endgame for Ethereum scaling, we are committed to full open source and building in public toward our stated mission [so that even if we fail, the community and the ecosystem will benefit from our contribution].
Read more about working at Matter Labs here.
We are seeking accomplished Research Engineers with a strong background in computer science to join our growing Research Team. As a Research Engineer, you will be responsible for working on various aspects of the complex system that Matter Labs is building, including security, performance, networking, hardware, programming languages, program correctness, and various aspects of applied cryptography related to zero-knowledge proofs.
You will be expected to have a strong interest in one of the areas listed above, as well as connections to both the academic community and industrial practice. While a PhD is preferred, it is not required. This is a full-time role, with a strong preference for candidates located within the broader US or EU.
What You'll Be Doing
- We expect you to work with both research scientists as well as with engineers and engineering managers to get what you produce deployed
- We expect you to be a member of the academic community and to read and possibly write papers, go to relevant conferences and workshops, etc., in order to stay abreast of the most recent developments as they happen
What We Look For in You
- A Masters or PhD in a relevant field such as Computer Science or related discipline is preferred
- Experience in one (or more) of the following areas: performance (distributed systems, language runtimes, networking stack), security, verification, cryptography and/or machine learning
- Ability to produce code that leads to industrial deployment
- In-depth knowledge of common algorithms, data structures, and their computational & memory complexities
- Applying scientific and engineering principles to the development of our products, technologies, and processes
- Experience in cryptography / high-load / protocols design will be a big advantage
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- English is your native language or you are completely fluent
Working at Matter Labs
At Matter Labs, you have the freedom to work how you want, when you want, and from where you want. We operate in small, focused teams, with no time tracking and minimum bureaucracy. Only results matter. We will provide you with anything you need to learn, grow, and be productive.
Our results-only environment means anyone who believes in our mission can join us, regardless of background, sexual orientation, race, gender, and age. Both our team and community are made up of people from different countries, cultures, ethnical and religious backgrounds. That's why, out of politeness and respect, we refrain from opinions on politics, religion, or sex at the workplace.
We designed our culture of freedom and ownership to persist as we scale and to establish the base for a positive-sum community as we move toward full decentralization.
Apply now if this role sounds of interest and we aim to get back to you as soon as possible.
See more open positions at Matter Labs
Something looks off?