Head of Art - Treasure Ecosystem (Games)
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2023
Hey there, we are Treasure! Treasure is one of the leading game publishers pioneering a new era of decentralized gaming. We are building an interconnected network of games that brings players and games together through the magic of play — all on the blockchain.
Founded in 2021, Treasure has quickly grown to become a top decentralized gaming ecosystem that is home to over 15+ indie games built by seasoned game teams, including The Beacon, Mighty Action Heroes, Zeeverse, Kaiju Cards, and more. We also have our own in-house game studio working on developing its first flagship title based on the original Treasure IP!
We are the real deal in decentralized gaming and have over 300,000 community members playing our games today. All projects on Treasure are linked–narratively and economically–through our network. Our community supports the entire game ecosystem to grow new projects and continue supporting more mature ones.
To build the best games community in the world for both players and developers.
We strive to fulfill our mission through the launch of amazing games on top of the Treasure platform which supports the growth of developers and the communities that play their games and bring their hearts to support the development process.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a preface, we understand that applying to any role is a bit scary. From here onwards, read knowing that this is ideally what we want but what we are seeking is more than just a list.
This role is the de facto visual leader for Treasure. You will be responsible for leading both the general art and visual direction for Treasure as well as for developing the full visual style, language, and bible for an unforgettable new world that will not only be the backdrop for a major online game but will be the glue of Treasure’s entire ecosystem of games.
The ideal candidate has an amazing technical process for creating and explaining all elements of a world visually and how they elicit the appropriate emotion, mood, and storytelling through style, composition, color, and shape. You will define a cohesive bible for this new world that includes characters, architecture, landscaping, and all other elements of the world so that new art can be created extensively and on specification. The art will bring together owned as well as externally developed IP from games building atop Treasure.
You will work closely with Treasure’s founders, the Narrative Director, and a Game Director to fully realize the vision for this world and ensure that the art bible breaks down into realizable systems and actions across marketing, game development, and studio partnerships.
You have a sense of not just how the creative exists for itself in the world, but also how it can be leveraged for a variety of storytelling purposes across social channels and in promotional and marketing materials.
To reach your goals and the goals of the Treasure ecosystem, you will oversee a talented, creative in-house team of artists, brand designers, and product designers. You’ll be tasked with mentoring and developing this team, fostering a creative culture within the organization, and empowering a great group of creatives to navigate the unknown. You are a conjurer of worlds, an arbiter of mind-blowing art and creativity, and will help drive the color and passion for the Treasure ecosystem and all games set in this world!
- Evolve and contribute to driving Treasure’s overall brand and visual direction across its IP, the game project, and other technology products (gaming platform, marketplace, etc.).
- Define and support visual direction for the game project in collaboration with studio leadership Narrative Designer, and Game Director, and own the visual style so it hits the storytelling and brand needs but also blows people’s minds creatively.
- Create, curate, and update the project art bible outlining the visual tone and style.
- Own art backlog, roadmaps, and production pipelines.
- Hands-on ownership of the entire creation process - sketches to color concepts to 2D and 3D game assets. Manage and oversee a team of artists, brand designers, product designers, and other internal and external/outsourced creatives.
- Source and coordinate with external studios and contractors should the need arise (or, potentially over time, build and manage an in-house team).
- Contribute to sprint planning and work closely with the rest of an expanding team.
- Import, implement, and test game assets in Unity or Unreal Engine.
- Evaluate and select tools used for art creation to ensure optimal and quality creation of game assets.
- Be willing to learn and explore this new, exciting frontier to bring to life an original fun world.
- Foster a creative culture empowering and mentoring future creative leaders, including both designers and artists.
- A passion for games or other interactive experiences and entertainment (movies, games, music).
- 7 - 10 years of experience in senior or lead art roles working with 2D (and/or 3D) games.
- Ability to illustrate your own ideas and to render out core ideas yourself.
- Mastery of Adobe Suite, (or other 2D rendering software like Painter) and working knowledge of 3D tool sets like Blender, Maya, and ZbrushStrong process to own and manage 2D and 3D concept processes.
- Strong ability to create 2D concept art and drive 3D concept process.
- Working knowledge of 3D pipeline validation.
- Ability to manage consistent style and high-quality output as content scales.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent understanding of game industry trends.
- Critical thinking and analytical mindset.
- Extensive experience with Unity, Unreal Engine, and other rendering solutions.
- An awesome portfolio! Show us your greatness. :)
NICE TO HAVE
- Located in North America with compatible timezones - Eastern Standard Time (EST) or close timezones (CST or PST).
- Extensive experience managing and scaling an art and creative team.
- Prior knowledge of Treasure and its gaming ecosystem.
- Strong animation skills (After Effects, Blender, etc.).
- Experience and understanding of UI and UX first principles.
- Experience or demonstrated interest in Web3 and related technologies.
- Experience and knowledge of VFX.
PERKS & BENEFITS
Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
Competitive Compensation Plan
Flexible Work Hours; team members are committed to building and delivering tremendous results, not watching the clock
Modern tools and processes, and co-workers who are on the cutting edge of innovation in product development
An Amazing Team :)
At Treasure, we are dedicated to building not just a product, but a workplace that values and promotes creativity and the diversity of people & thoughts. Our hugest asset is our global team, and we want to make sure that we are fueling an authentic workplace, where each individual can feel a sense of belonging.
This studio provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.