Narrative Director, Games
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2023
Hey there, we are Treasure! Treasure is one of the leading game publishers pioneering a new era of decentralized gaming. We are building an interconnected network of games that brings players and games together through the magic of play — all on the blockchain.
Founded in 2021, Treasure has quickly grown to become a top decentralized gaming ecosystem that is home to over 15+ indie games built by seasoned game teams, including The Beacon, Mighty Action Heroes, Zeeverse, Kaiju Cards, and more. We also have our own in-house game studio working on developing its first flagship title based on the original Treasure IP!
We are the real deal in decentralized gaming and have over 300,000 community members playing our games today. All projects on Treasure are linked–narratively and economically–through our network. Our community supports the entire game ecosystem to grow new projects and continue supporting more mature ones.
To build the best games community in the world for both players and developers.
We strive to fulfill our mission through the launch of amazing games on top of the Treasure platform which supports the growth of developers and the communities that play their games and bring their hearts to support the development process.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As a preface, we understand that applying to any role is a bit scary. From here onwards, read knowing that this is ideally what we want but what we are seeking is more than just a list.
You will be the lead in developing and realizing an unforgettable world that will not only be the backdrop for a major online game but will be the glue of the entire Treasure ecosystem of games and developers. The ideal candidate will inspire amazing world-building ideas but also work with all disciplines to break them down into realizable systems and actions across marketing, game development, and studio partnerships.
As the Narrative Director for Treasure, you will lead the creation and expansion of a sprawling, fantasy universe with intriguing mythology and history, and a multitude of amazing hooks for players to fall into. The world will have other specific objectives for it: The world will drive the central mythology for our entire publishing ecosystem so that all of our development partners’ games can fit into the mythology and allow us to craft highly engaging promotions and stories for our community members no matter what game they are playing in the Treasure ecosystem.
You will work closely with partner development teams, game designers, artists, marketing, and community teams to design and implement this incredible world and drive its vision.
You are a conjurer of worlds, an arbiter of design and creativity, and will help drive the color and passion to the Treasure ecosystem and to games set in that world.
- Design and implement an immersive and engaging game world that supports the two purposes: being the background of an incredible online game experience, and being the central lore of the entire Treasure games publishing ecosystem.
- Define a story/lore bible that can be used as a consistent reference point for all teams building extensions into this world, including our loyal and passionate player community.
- Work with team leadership, community leads, marketing, and game design teams to create a narrative plan that hits the objectives.
- Iteratively refine, improve, and balance the game world, mythology, history, characters, and story hooks based on feedback from all key partners in the process.
- Maintain a strong understanding of industry trends and best practices in game world design, and contribute to the evolution of a new game, as well as community and promotional efforts leveraging game lore.
- Develop engaging narrative events that allow for cross-pollination between our development team partners.
- You have 5-8 years of experience in a narrative role in games and interactive media (transmedia, ARGs, interactive fiction, and more).
- You have been the Narrative Lead on a game product from start to finish that has shipped.
- You are an excellent writer. You are devoted to the creation of lore and mythology that sucks people in and makes them never want to leave. For you, it’s all about the magic and fun of bringing someone into a new place where they can have fun, learn, and create a backdrop for amazing interactions with their friends.
- You breathe new life and insight into the beloved tropes of fantasy genres, finding fresh new ways that audiences will be excited by.
- You have managed a small team of writers to perform: Setting priorities, managing workflow, and giving feedback that helps them flourish as creatives.
- You have a love for storytelling, particularly storytelling in games.
- You’re eager to explore methods of storytelling that would be challenging or even impossible in linear media like film and television.
- You’re comfortable writing in a broad range of tones.
- You have a strong sense of personal ownership and are focused on outcomes.
- You’ve partnered and collaborated with non-writer creatives: Briefed visual and audio artists and teamed up with game designers. You’re accustomed to getting direct feedback on your work and your team’s work, accommodating it, or pushing back on it as appropriate.
- You are comfortable wearing many hats and working in a rapidly changing and sometimes ambiguous environment.
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience or interest in Web3 and related technologies.
- Located in North America with compatible timezones - Eastern Standard Time (EST) or close timezones (CST or PST).
- Prior knowledge of Treasure and its gaming ecosystem.
PERKS & BENEFITS
Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
Competitive Compensation Plan
Flexible Work Hours; team members are committed to building and delivering tremendous results, not watching the clock
Modern tools and processes, and co-workers who are on the cutting edge of innovation in product development
An Amazing Team :)
At Treasure, we are dedicated to building not just a product, but a workplace that values and promotes creativity and the diversity of people & thoughts. Our hugest asset is our global team, and we want to make sure that we are fueling an authentic workplace, where each individual can feel a sense of belonging.
This studio provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.